- Applications close: 5pm, Thursday 15 February 2018
- Selection notification: By Friday 31 March 2018
- Work delivery: During gallery hours 8 May – 13 May 2018
- Announcement and official opening: 6:00 – 8:00pm, Thursday 17 May 2018
- Finalist exhibition dates: Friday 18 May – Sunday 8 July 2018
- Work collection: During gallery hours 10 July – 15 July 2018
The 2018 prize will be awarded to a painting that has not been exhibited in previous awards or prizes.
For the purposes of this prize, ‘painting’ is defined as a work painted in a liquid medium and applied to a rigid support. Works on paper and works under glass are not accepted.
There is no theme.
There are no size restrictions, however works must be able to be lifted by two people.
If you are unsure, please contact the gallery for more information.
Entry fee is $30 (including GST) per work. Entry fee is non-refundable and covers the cost of production of catalogue and other marketing materials. Any application not accompanied by the appropriate entry fee will be ineligible.
Payment may be made securely online through PayPal.
Bayside City Council will not store any payment details, nor share your information with a third party. A Tax Invoice/receipt will be issued for each entry.
Terms & Conditions of Entry
- The BAYSIDE ACQUISITIVE ART PRIZE is open to citizens or permanent residents (at least 12 months) of Australia over 18 years of age. Works submitted must be the original work of the artist and completed in the 12 months prior to the closing date.
- The LOCAL ART PRIZE (non-acquisitive) of $3,000 is open to any artist who complies with Term & Condition 1 and who also demonstrates a connection to Bayside, defined as the municipality of Bayside, Victoria. To check eligibility please visit the following website: https://knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au/councils/bayside. A demonstrated connection is considered to be an artist who has lived, worked or studied in Bayside or the work entered into the prize is of local subject matter.
- The PEOPLE’S CHOICE PRIZE (non-acquisitive) of $1,000 is open to any artist who complies with Term & Condition 1. It will be judged by the public and announced at the completion of the exhibition.
- To be eligible, all Entrants must submit a complete application to The Gallery at Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre by 5pm Thursday 15 February 2018. Entries received after this date will not be accepted.
- Applications must be made online at baysideacquisitiveartprize.com.au or contact The Gallery for a hard copy entry form.
- Entries must be paintings that are available for acquisition by Bayside City Council in exchange for the prize amount of $15,000.
- All entries will initially be assessed by a Council-appointed panel, which will select a shortlist for exhibition. All Entrants will be contacted by email and advised whether or not their entry has been shortlisted. The shortlist will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The entry must be an original, uncopied work made solely by the practitioner in the 12 months prior to the closing date for applications. If the practitioner has been assisted by technicians they must be identified.
- Bayside City Council recognises that the authorship and copyright of the work displayed in the final exhibition belongs to the artist.
- The shortlisted Entrants must permit Bayside City Council to reproduce biographical information and images of entered works in an exhibition catalogue and in promotional material associated with the Art Prize and exhibition, for five years from closing date of entries. Bayside City Council will attribute the artist as the author of the work wherever the work is reproduced unless it is reasonable in the circumstances not to do so.
- The winner of the major acquisitive prize will grant Bayside City Council a non-exclusive, perpetual copyright licence to reproduce the work for non-commercial purposes. Bayside City Council will attribute the Artist as the author of the work wherever the work is reproduced unless it is reasonable in the circumstances not to do so.
- Shortlisted Entrants must arrange for delivery of their work to The Gallery during gallery hours, 8 – 13 May 2018, free of any costs to the Gallery. The work delivered must be the same as the image supplied; any subsequent alterations will render the work ineligible for the Prize.
- All works shortlisted must be displayed for the duration of the exhibition from Friday 18 May – Sunday 8 July 2018.
- All works will be insured by Bayside City Council during the exhibition. Bayside City Council will not accept liability for any loss or damage inflicted that occurs to works during transit.
- All works must come professionally prepared for hanging and display (suitably framed if applicable, D-rings, NO hanging wire) and free of dirt and insect contamination.
- Works must be marked clearly on the verso with Artist’s name, title of work and orientation (demarked by an arrow on the verso). Installation instructions must be included if necessary.
- All artworks must be collected during gallery hours, 10 July – 15 July 2018. The Gallery will repackage artworks prior to collection. If works are not collected by this date they will be sent to storage at the Entrant’s expense.
- Judges for the Acquisitive and Local Prizes will be of appropriate credentials to make a critical assessment of the entries. The decision of the Judging Panel is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Prize Winning Entrant agrees to make all reasonable effort to attend the Opening Event on Thursday 17 May 2018, 6pm – 8pm. Where that Entrant is based in regional Victoria or interstate, the Gallery will provide a stipend of $250 to assist with travel expenses.
- Bayside City Council reserves the right to refuse display of any entry that does not meet the requirements outlined in Terms and Conditions, or any work it deems to be unacceptable for exhibition.
- Employees of Bayside City Council and those involved in the administration or judging of the Prize are not eligible to enter.
- In completing the entry form and paying the entry fee the Entrant agrees to these Terms & Conditions.
- If a dispute arises relating to the administration of the Bayside Acquisitive Art Prize, the parties agree to negotiate to settle the dispute with the assistance of an agreed independent third party, or if no agreement can be made, by a mediator from the Australian Mediation Association before litigation.
Bayside City Council will not be responsible for sale of works. Sales enquiries will be directed to the artist or their nominated dealer.
Enquiries may be directed to The Gallery at Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre:
T 03 9261 7111